Protect Your Rights with State and Federal Tax Agencies
Disputed Returns | IRS and Tax Examinations | IRS Appeals | Tax Collection Disputes | Garnishments, Levies, and Liens | IRS Final Determinations
There are few controversies more harrowing than a state or federal tax dispute, and few government agencies that can create more havoc in your life than the IRS or a state revenue agency. When you are involved in any type of tax dispute, you want an experienced and knowledgeable lawyer to aggressively protect your rights.
At The Legal Café, we can connect you with a proven state and federal tax attorney, someone who can help you take the right steps and make the right decisions to fully protect your interests. Complete our online form or visit us at 114 Main Street in the courthouse district in downtown Fort Worth.
Common Personal Tax Law Concerns
An experienced tax lawyer can provide comprehensive legal counsel when you are involved in:
- An IRS or state tax authority examination – Your attorney can help you through an audit/examination, carefully gathering and preserving evidence to support your claims, filing all necessary paperwork and documentation, and acting as your advocate with examiners and others. Your attorney will typically attend the audit with you and may even go in your place.
- Appeal of an IRS tax determination – Your attorney will review the proposed tax assessment for accuracy and will often seek to negotiate a settlement.
- State and federal tax collections – Tax authorities can be particularly aggressive when attempting to collect an alleged arrearage. Furthermore, the IRS has a long history of miscalculating tax liabilities. Your attorney will work to minimize the likelihood of garnishments, liens or levies, and will seek to minimize the consequences of a collection effort by:
- Determining the minimum amount the IRS will accept in settlement;
- Establishing whether you can claim the tax debt is “uncollectible;”
- Protecting your rights as an “innocent spouse;” or
- Verifying whether the statute of limitations has expired on the collection effort.
In tax collections proceedings, your attorney also may attempt to:
- Get the IRS to waive penalties and interest on your tax arrearage;
- Work out an installment payment plan for you; or
- Make an offer in compromise, where the IRS agrees to take less than the full amount to settle your tax debt.
- IRS garnishments, liens, and levies – Whether you have just received an IRS demand notice or the IRS has already applied for garnishment (attachment of your wages), lien, or levy (the seizure of property), your attorney can step in and protect your rights.
- IRS final determinations – As part of most federal personal tax controversies, the IRS issues a “final determination” letter, documenting the amount due and indicating that all administrative and judicial appeals have been exhausted.
Connect with an Experienced State and Federal Tax Attorney Today
Fill out our online form or visit The Legal Café in downtown Fort Worth to find the right lawyer to help you with a personal tax dispute.